Monday, July 10, 2006

Wet Weather on a Wonderful Weekend

What a weekend.

I’m relieved it’s done. I’m relieved that a surprisingly good number of people watched the show last Saturday, despite the gloomy weather that afternoon. I’m glad the audience in both shows didn’t seem to fall asleep while my play was being performed (but I have to admit the matinee performance dragged somewhat; the show that evening was much better). Different thoughts popped up in my head as I watched: Shit, my play is really technically challenging. Jesus, I’d love to trim down some of the dialogue right now. Abner (who played Fil) is really amazing.

My teenage actors JM Cordero (left) and Abner Delina Jr.
and I, with me holding the “magic sound mirror.”

How did the audience react to the play? During the matinee show, I noticed a teenage girl in the front row looking as if she’s about to choke with emotion. And later that night, a PDI reviewer, who I was introduced to earlier and who, in fact, was sitting behind me, congratulated me afterwards, adding: Napaiyak mo ako (or something like that). And during the intermission following my play, an audience member forgot his cellphone at a table in the lobby and I peered momentarily at the LCD: The play was exceptional. Good thing he went back to retrieve it just before the intermission ended.

I just smiled. What else could I do? Ü

Thank you so much to those who watched, especially Dean, Nikki, Vin and the Osias couple.

Some Bloc members (joined by a few, ehem, “friends”) at
Icebergs near CCP after yesterday’s matinee performance.