Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Lucky J.D. Fortune is the new INXS frontman

The New INXS: (clockwise) Jon Farriss, Tim Farriss, J.D. Fortune, Kirk Pengilly, Garry Beers, and Andrew Farriss. (Copyright © by Danny Moloshok, Blue Pixel/MBP 2005)

Wow. What a surprise. I honestly didn’t think INXS would choose J.D. Fortune to be their new lead singer. But they did, despite his cocky attitude and his complete lack of discipline. Plus, his overly constant habit of giving the group credit for influencing him as a musician is exasperating. Christ, once is enough. Still, I’m sure that must’ve made INXS feel real good.

Don’t get me wrong: J.D. is a phenomenal rocker. Anyone who has watched Rock Star: INXS for the last two months or so could see that. His charisma and talent is undeniable, and he’s probably the edgiest of all the rockers. But his rebellious nature convinced me, then and now, that he would shine best as a solo performer, not as a frontman. Apparently, INXS disagreed.

I suspect INXS chose J.D. because he’s way edgier than (my personal choice) MiG Ayesa—by the way, it’s sweet of him to mention the Philippines—and reasonably more open-minded than Marty Casey (my second personal choice) when it comes to collaborating. Clearly, the group wanted a darker, edgier sound for their next album. Well, there’s no one else who's darker and edgier than J.D.

As a show, Rock Star: INXS definitely kicked ass, much more than American Idol (which I still love). Bo Bice and especially Constatine Maroulis wouldn’t have a prayer there. I mean, how can they compete with Deanna Johnston’s husky sensuality, or my favorite Rock Star rocker Ty Taylor’s soulful energy, or Jordis Unga’s startlingly mature vocals, or Suzie McNeil’s amazing range?

The show featured a lot of astounding performances, but here are my favorites: Suzie’s “Bohemian Rhapsody;” Jordis’ “Imagine” and “The Man Who Sold the World;” Ty’s “Woman Don’t Cry” and “Proud Mary;” MiG’s “Live and Let Die;” Marty’s “Mr. Brightside,” “Wish You Were Here,” and “Trees;” and (surprise, surprise) J.D.’s “Pretty Vegas.” And my favorite episode? The seventh (a.k.a. All-Acoustic) episode, hands down.

Now, Mark Burnett is looking for more talented rockers to audition for the next edition of Rock Star. I wonder which frontman-less band is up next. Queen? Grateful Dead? Nirvana?

Fortune really smiled on J.D. today. Well, the best of luck to him and INXS. They’ll need it.