Sunday, September 11, 2005

Feeling Famous for a Day

For some people, September 11 is not a good day. Today marks Marcos’s birthday. Today also marks the 4th anniversary of the Twin Towers tragedy. But this year is a little different.

The Sunday Inquirer Magazine finally released its annual Palanca Awards issue today. Nine first-prize winners were featured on the cover, including Dean, Joel and myself. I found the headline amusing: RP Literature’s Main Attractions. It made us sound like we’re circus stars or something. But hey, no complaints here. All in all, it was good. No, very good.

As a result, a lot of people texted and congratulated me. And I mean a lot of people. Former Palanca winners Migs Villanueva and Niel de Mesa even called me up. Just goes to show how powerful and wide-reaching PDI is. Many of them complimented on my appearance. This is all I would say about it: Don’t be fooled, people! It’s all in the camera angle and lighting!

Honestly, I’m not too crazy about my cover pic. But I really like my photo inside, more so Alya’s writeup on me. I liked it so much, I texted both Alya and Raffy Lerma, the photographer and thanked them. Not only that, I clipped the whole article and kept it in a safe, secure place.

Yup, today is definitely a good day.