Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Rene at Rest

RENATO OCAMPO VILLANUEVA


(22 September 1954 - 5 December 2007)

I last saw him last night, inside Room 234 of the Philippine Heart Center's Medical ICU. When I saw him, I thought my heart would break. I refuse to describe what I saw; he does not deserve the indignity, the pity. But he did deserve company, and that he had last night. His beloved mother, his siblings. His former wife, their daughters. His former playwriting pupils turned friends--Rollie dela Cruz, Nicolas Pichay, Liza Magtoto, Job Pagsibigan, myself. He is that loved, that treasured.

His body may have finally failed him, but the masterpieces that sprang from his head, from his imagination--they remain so alive: Kumbersasyon. Hiblang Abo. May Isang Sundalo. Huling Gabi sa Maragondon. Ang Unang Baboy sa Langit. Nemo, ang Batang Papel. Kuwento ni Malinis. Botong. Kalantiaw. Watawat. Walang Iwanan. What a stunning legacy that he will leave behind.

Enjoy that rest you have so earned, Rene. You deserve it, my mataray mentor, my friend.

Labels: ,