Friday, December 01, 2006

Ten Favorite Filipino Stories for Children

It’s been a while since I’ve posted a Top Ten list, and since I’ve nothing better to post now I’ve decided to list my current favorite Filipino short stories for children, all of them prizewinners:

Apo Mayor by Grace D. Chong: The importance of honesty may be highlighted in this story, but I can’t help but be delighted to know that I share the same surname with its young protagonist. Not surprising, since it’s also the author’s maiden name.

Chun, by Marivi Soliven Blanco: Early teeners will appreciate this story the most, which focuses on a subject very rarely explored in Philippine children’s literature: discrimination.

The Daughter of the Wind, by Angelo R. Lacuesta: Affecting and lyrical, this story, which deals with the idea of destiny, remains to be my favorite among Lacuesta’s earlier works.

The Greediest of Rajahs and the Whitest of Clouds, by Honoel Ibardolaza: It may lack Filipino-ness, but it does evoke the best qualities that the best Asian folktales have.

The Man Who Hated Birds, by Leoncio P. Deriada: I’m not exactly a big fan of Deriada’s fiction, but there’s something about this simple fable that I find quite charming.

Nemo, Ang Batang Papel, by Rene O. Villanueva: Villanueva has written many fine short stories for children, but as far as I’m concerned this poignant story is one of his best.

Pan de Sal Saves the Day, by Norma Olizon-Chikiamco: How can one not love a story with characters named Miss Floures and Mang Baking? Even better, it celebrates everything that’s Filipino. Cute!

The Rocking Horse, by Becky Bravo: Inspired by a painting showing a bald violinist on a rocking horse, I read this story recently and couldn’t help but be moved.

Salu-salo, by Susie B. Borero: Writing about history or a historical event from the point of view of a child—in this case, a young girl—is often tricky, but Borero somehow pulls it off.

Sandosenang Sapatos, by Dr. Luis P. Gatmaitan: Gatmaitan has made a brilliant career out of writing stories that are firmly rooted in medical concerns, but this one, about paternal love, is so good that it’s required reading in the school my nieces go to.