Sunday, November 05, 2006

Belated Birthday Bulletin

Being born on All Souls Day, thinking of death as well as life has become second nature to me whenever my birthday comes around. This year was no different. As is my habit I spent my birthday by going on a solitary excursion, this time to some towns in central Laguna. I had a nice time exploring these towns, never forgetting to check out their old colonial churches, which I am strongly interested in, despite the fact I’m not a religious man at all.

I often use these excursions to reflect on my life, on what I have accomplished so far and what I have yet to achieve. During such a reflection, much as I’m grateful that another year has been added to my life, at the back of my mind I can’t help but think that I’m another year closer to my death, whenever that may be. Don’t misunderstand: I’m not being morbid here, just writing this matter-of-factly. I’m not really afraid of death, per se, but I sometimes dread of how will I die. I’m pretty sure I’m not alone in this sentiment.

Like the birthdays I had spent in the past, last Thursday was a day when I had let a part of myself “die” and be replaced by hopefully something better, something new. As far as I’m concerned, my birthday offered me something like a compressed Holy Weekend: a certain kind of death, a different type of resurrection. As for that part of myself I’m referring to, it’s much too private for me to share in this space, but what I can say about it is that I hope I become a better person, a truer person as a result. I guess only time will tell.

All in all, I spent my birthday the way I wanted: quietly, by myself—much of it, anyway.