Sunday, April 30, 2006

May Day Eve

Tonight, I’m going to enter one of the two stories I wrote for Chari’s class to this year’s Palancas. I had planned on submitting the other story too, but for some reason I feel too lazy to revise it, at least for now. It’ll be a waste of money and paper if I submit that story in its current state. But I have to revise it sooner or later; the premise has a lot of potential.

And the story I’m going to submit? I really don’t want to dwell on its chances, especially since it will be up against very stiff competition. But I can hope, right? That’s the best thing one can do. I have learned long ago not to expect too much; you will be setting yourself up for possible disappointment if you do. It’s a no-brainer that luck plays a key role in these things. The high quality of an entry will help it pass through the first round, but I believe it’s the combination of (certain) judges that will decide which ones will place in those three coveted spots. No matter how objective the deliberations may be, personal preferences will usually crop up.

I could’ve submitted my entry earlier, but I like submitting on the day of the deadline. It’s kind of fun meeting up with friends who also joined and have something like this:

ME: Sino pa ang alam mong sumali this year?

FRIEND: Si [ganito] at si [ganyan].

ME: Talaga? (Laughs) Wala na. Talo na entry ko. Dinig ko sumali din si [ganoon].

FRIEND: Gano’n? Naku, siguradong mananalo ulit siya.

To those who are joining the Palancas this year: GOOD LUCK!