Saturday, January 28, 2006

Kung Hei Fat Choi!

Like a pilgrim fulfilling a lifetime promise, I went to Chinatown (specifically, Ongpin Street) today for the third year in a row to observe the Chinese New Year festivities there. But this time, I went by myself. The late-afternoon celebrations have nothing new to show me, but there’s still something exotic (and therefore attractive) about how Ongpin becomes a red light district of sorts. You see red (and gold) everywhere you turn from the moment you join the river of people painting the town, well, red and watching blinking, colorful and grotesque dragons dancing amid the deafening sounds of cymbals and gongs and exploding firecrackers.

The pictures below are just a couple of the, well, interesting things I spotted along Ongpin. I’ve posted some more pictures at The Photo Groupie. Check them out. In the meantime, KUNG HEI FAT CHOI!

Another singular victory for incorrect English.







You don’t want to know what’s dumped here.







Um, I’m not so sure about that.







I bet this bar knows the secret to achieve nirvana.







I won’t be surprised if this shop sells half-pure gold.