Monday, June 06, 2005

A popcorn novel in the best sense

The Da Vinci Code may have been around for two years now, but it was only last weekend that I got around to read the book, which I borrowed from my sister-in-law. I thought it was very entertaining: remarkably well-researched, solidly plotted, competently written, very smart. There’s no denying that the premise, which challenges the Catholic Church’s view of Mary Magdalene’s status in the life and ministry of Jesus Christ, is so powerful that one couldn’t help but reflect on, even reconsider that view. No wonder it became a phenomenal bestseller.

No mistake about it, The Da Vinci Code is not high literature and doesn’t pretend to be at all. Between Robert Langdon and Sophie Neveu, I like her a lot better: she’s the most fascinating, most well-developed character in it. Initial quibbles? Much as the book moves at an even and fast pace, I feel a little uncomfortable about the fact that, save for the epilogue, everything happened in a single day; what’s the harm in adding another day or two? And the budding romance between Robert and Sophie, despite some buildup, seemed forced, out of place. Still, these things don’t make the book any less riveting.

Just my two cents, albeit belated, in the piggy bank of opinions about The Da Vinci Code, a popcorn novel in the best sense.